Tax returns for partners and partnerships

If your business is run as a partnership you'll have to complete an individual Self Assessment tax return (SA100). If you send a paper tax return, you'll also have to fill in the partnership supplementary pages (SA104).

The nominated partner must also complete a Partnership Tax Return (SA800) - showing each partner's share of the profits or losses. This might include supplementary pages too, depending on what types of income the partnership has.

The nominated partner is responsible for sending in the partnership tax return. But all the partners will be jointly liable for any penalties and interest if the tax return is late or inaccurate.

Each partner is personally responsible for paying the tax and Class 4 National Insurance contributions due on their share of the partnership profits

On this page:

Registering a new partnership

The nominated partner must register the partnership for business taxes with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). They can do this online.

Each business partner must also register themselves for Self Assessment and National Insurance. The partnership and each partner will then receive their own Unique Taxpayer Reference for Self Assessment.

Follow the link below to find out more about how and when to register

Registering for Self Assessment


Partners' individual tax returns

A partner may be an individual or a company.

If you're a self-employed partner

Partners have to pay Income Tax on their share of the partnership profits.

If you complete your tax return online, you can tailor the tax return to add the pages you need.

If you send a paper tax return (SA100), you'll also have to complete either:

  • SA104S - you can use this if the partnership only receives trading income and taxed income, such as interest from banks or building societies
  • SA104F - you must use this if the partnership has more complicated types of income

Self Assessment for the self-employed - learn more

Find out more about sending your tax return online

A company which is a partner in another business

A partner can be a company rather than an individual. Some partnerships are made up entirely of companies. Others have a mix of companies and individuals.

Partners who are companies have to pay Corporation Tax on their partnership profits. They must include the Corporation Tax on their Corporation Tax Self Assessment returns.

Corporation Tax Self Assessment - find out more


Partnership Self Assessment tax returns

The nominated partner must take responsibility for completing the Partnership Tax Return and acting as the main contact for the partnership. The partners can choose who to nominate – HMRC will decide for you if no one is put forward.

If you're the nominated partner

HMRC will send you a Partnership Tax Return, or a notice telling you to complete one, usually in April or May.

When you complete the return, you should include:

  • details of the partnership profit and loss
  • any interest received after tax has been deducted
  • other types of income and gains

You must also show each partner's share of the profits and losses on the return's partnership statement.

Each partner will also show this information on their own tax return. You must let each partner know their share of the profits and losses.

You can send the Partnership Tax Return on paper or online. You'll need to buy commercial software first before completing it online.

Self Assessment software from commercial suppliers

There are many advantages to sending the tax return online, for example:

  • the deadline is three months later
  • you'll get an immediate confirmation when the return is received

Completing your tax return - partners and partnerships

Self Assessment Online - find out more


Record keeping

You should keep your business records for four more years after the normal tax return deadline of 31 January. This date applies even if you've sent in a paper tax return.

The records that you'll need to keep will depend on the types of income and gains that the partnership has. Your accountant - if you have one - will be able to advise you on the records you'll need to keep for tax and accounting purposes.

Record keeping for partners and partnerships


Deadlines for Self Assessment returns

The tax year runs from 6 April to the following 5 April.

You can send partnership and partners' tax returns on paper or online. The deadlines are:

  • 31 January after the end of the tax year for online tax returns
  • 31 October after the end of the tax year for paper tax returns

If at least one of the partners is a company the nominated partner must submit the completed partnership return by:

  • the later of 31 October following the end of the tax year or 9 months from the end of the relevant period, for paper based returns
  • the later of 31 January following the end of the tax year or 12 months from the end of the relevant period, for online returns

The relevant period will generally be the period or periods to which the partnership makes up accounts. It will end on the partnership's accounting date which ends in the tax year.

Tax return deadlines and penalties - find out more


If you leave a partnership

If you leave a partnership during a tax year you still need to fill in a tax return for the year that you left. Show the date that you left the partnership on the tax return. If you receive a tax return the following year, and think you don't need to complete one, get in touch with HMRC as soon as possible.

If the partnership itself has been wound up, the nominated partner will need to complete the partnership return to cover the final period of trading.

Find out more about closing or selling a business

Contact the Self Assessment Helpline