Change of name or address - how to report it to HMRC

If you change your name or address it's important to let HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) know - even if you pay your tax through PAYE and have already told your employer or pension provider. If you use the HMRC email service you can send 1 notification, and don't have to get in touch with separate offices.

On this page:

Email HMRC about a change of name or address

You can use the HMRC email service, which will update your records for Income Tax, tax credits, Child Benefit, Child Trust Fund, National Insurance contributions and student loan repayments. You only need to send one notification to update your records for these services.

Tell HMRC about a change of name or address by email


Call or write to HMRC about a change of name or address

If you don't want to use the email service, you'll need to get in touch with HMRC and all the relevant helplines (for contact details follow the links below). If you get tax credits or Child Benefit you'll also need to let those offices know.

If you are VAT registered then you can report the changes to HMRC either online, using the link below, or in writing using form VAT 484. You can't tell HMRC about changes to your details by telephone or by email.

Go to form VAT 484 notifying HMRC of changes to a VAT registered business

VAT Online Service

Contact HMRC

National Insurance helplines

Tax Credit Helpline (Opens new window)

Child Benefit Helpline (Opens new window)

Welsh Language Helplines


More useful links

Changes that affect your tax credits

Child Benefit - changes you need to report