TTM17326 - Schedule 22 Finance Act 2000: Part VII the ring fence - Para 57 exclusion of relief or set-off against tax liability
(1) Any relief or set-off against a company's tax liability for an accounting period does not apply in relation to-
(a) so much of that tax liability as is attributable to the company's tonnage tax profits, or
(b) so much of that tax liability as is attributable to tonnage profits of a controlled foreign company apportioned to the company under section 747(3) of the Taxes Act 1988.
(2) Relief to which this paragraph applies includes, but is not limited to, any relief or set-off under-
(a) section 788 or 790 of the Taxes Act 1988 (double taxation relief), or
(b) regulations under section 32 of the Finance Act 1998 (unrelieved surplus advance corporation tax).
(3) Sub-paragraph (1)(b) applies whether or not the company to which the profits are apportioned is subject to tonnage tax.
(4) For the purposes of sub-paragraph (1)(b)-
(a) "tonnage profits" means so much of the chargeable profits of the controlled foreign company as, on the assumptions in Schedule 24 to the Taxes Act 1988, are calculated in accordance with paragraph 4 of this Schedule; and
(b) so much of a controlled foreign company's chargeable profits for any accounting period as are tonnage profits shall be treated as apportioned under section 747(3) of that Act in the same proportions as those chargeable profits (taken generally) are apportioned.
(5) For the purposes of any such regulations as are mentioned in sub-paragraph (2)(b), a company's tonnage tax profits shall be left out of account in determining the company's profits charged to corporation tax.
This does not affect the computation under those regulations of shadow ACT on distributions made by a tonnage tax company, whether paid out of tonnage tax profits or other profits.
(6) This paragraph does not affect-
(a) any reduction under section 13(2) of the Taxes Act 1988 (marginal small companies' relief), or
(b) any set off under section 7(2) or 11(3) of the Taxes Act 1988 (set off for income tax borne by deduction).
|Deductions from tax liability||TTM07210|