TQGN3150 - Procedure tables: Table
3: transmission of data to the Central Tariff Quota Unit
1. Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF)
CTQU receive centrally produced CHIEF quota prints from all
locations on the working day following acceptance of TQ claims.
Remember that delay in transmission could mean loss of relief to
2. CHIEF messages
CTQU will accept quota claims via the CHIEF Messaging System or
by email and will key the data. Transmit your data in the format
set out in the following example:
101 / 232 non-critical
1 - 230595 - 090013 - 7838 - 23 - US – 013298A
|101||=||data source number
- your consecutive serial numbers start at
001 in January
- state whether critical or non-critical; do
not mix both types; send separate messages for each with separate
- use single dashes as spaces between
columns; there is no need to line up columns beneath each
- if your message needs more than one page,
treat the second and subsequent pages as separate messages with
separate consecutive numbers
- keep a copy of all messages
- guard against sending claims by message
which have already been captured by CHIEF
- note details of the transmission on the
- do not send details of incomplete claims,
eg claims awaiting preference documents or security for duty.
Notify CTQU immediately of any errors in, omissions from, or
amendments to, data sent.
3. Errors and amendments
Confirm by sending a correction message, making clear reference
to the original data.