PAYE105020 - Individual records: contact history: work management item - core principles
If you are working a work item and an update is made to a customer record, the Insert Contact History screen is displayed automatically.
If no update is made to the customer record you should follow SPD 6d.
In these cases, you should complete the following details
- Document type (select the appropriate form the work item relates to as far as possible, for example P46, P45(1), otherwise select ‘Other Contact’)
- Contact channel (select ‘E-mail In’)
- Contact type (select the appropriate contact the work item relates to. For example, ‘employer’ when it relates to in-year forms, otherwise select ‘other’)
You must complete the ‘Actions’ field so that other users can identify the action you have taken when viewing the Contact History Summary (see PAYE105030).
Note: The ‘Actions’ field holds up to 201 characters. In more complex cases, if more notes space is needed, you can create a manual Contact History note, see SPD 6d or complete the ‘Action’ field for each key action taken.
When updating the ‘Actions’ field (see SPD 6d), you must
- Write a clear and concise note of the information used and the actions taken
- Copy and paste the notes from Office Clerical Assistant (OCA) when required
- Only use the agreed standard abbreviations and acronyms from the departmental list at PAYE105024
- Enter spaces not just commas or full stops to separate text
- Provide a breakdown of any apportioned figures or manually reconciled years shown in IABD
- Make sure details are compliant with the Data Protection and Freedom of Information Acts
- Ensure all outbound calls are noted including all actions completed. If unsuccessful, note the attempt with the outstanding information or actions required
- Review your notes before submission
- Use personal abbreviations or acronyms
- Repeat basic information about the customer, for example name or date of birth
- Express personal opinions or enter any inappropriate notes that could cause offence
- Enter details that are not relevant to the information provided or actions taken
- Duplicate figures that are already captured in IABD
- Use words or phrases that are vague or open to misinterpretation
- Include bank details
- Include your name or the name of a colleague. Use the PID instead
Note: If you move to another screen for the same customer without saving the information, no warning message will be displayed and NPS will not record the information you have entered.