NIM39325 - National Insurance Numbers (NINOs): Registration of a new NINO: Adult Registration: applying for a NINO through DWP's Jobcentre Plus
This guidance applies to:
- adults who were not issued with a number under the Juvenile Registration processes, see NIM39300, and
- children who have not been part of a Child Benefit claim see NIM39320.
- People coming in to the UK from abroad
In order to get a NINO, they must satisfy legislative criteria.
They must be either:
- working, about to start work or actively seeking employment, and have the right to work in the UK, or
- be liable to UK Class 1 NICs
- making a claim to benefit, or
- be entitled to and wish to pay voluntary Class 3 NICs
- be referred by student loan company. See NIM39130
These customers need to contact Jobcentre plus to arrange to apply for a NI number. In some circumstances an applicant may require an interview. Details of the process can be found on the directgov website.