EIM22061 - Van benefit to 2004/05: exceptions
Sections 118(1) and 168 ITEPA 2003
There are two exceptions to the van benefit charge rule at EIM22060. They are:
- vans forming part of a "van pool", which are exempted from charge, Section 168. They are considered in detail at EIM23450 onwards.
- a van that the employee is specifically prohibited from using for private purposes and that is not so used, Section 118(1).
Private use prohibited and no actual private use in practice
The mere prohibition of private use is insufficient to prevent a tax charge. It is also necessary to show that a van is not used for private motoring.
Thus if a provided van is in fact used privately there will be liability even if private use is prohibited.
Conversely liability will still arise even if no private use is made of a provided van unless, in addition, either:
- private use has been specifically prohibited, or
- the van is a "shared" van (see EIM22070).
- the use of a provided van for private motoring is forbidden and
- no such use is made of it.
Years from 2005/06 onwards
Full guidance on van benefit for these years can be found using the contents page at EIM22700.