CTM80215 - Groups: group relief: non-coinciding accounting periods or group relationships - multiple claims
A broad overview of Section 403A is at CTM80210. Where there are a number of claims or surrenders made by companies in a group, and:
- some accounting periods do not coincide, or
- not all of the claimant or surrendering companies are members of the group throughout,
- work out the surrenderable amount for the overlapping period (CTM80230),
- reduce this amount by the amount of any prior surrenders attributable to the overlapping period (CTM80240).
The result of Step 1 is the ‘unused part of the surrenderable amount for the overlapping period’.
- work out the claimant company’s total profits for the overlapping period (CTM80230),
- reduce this amount by the amount of any previously claimed group relief attributable to the overlapping period (CTM80245).
The result of Step 2 is the ‘unrelieved part of the claimant company’s total profits for the overlapping period’.
The amount of the group relief claim must not exceed the smaller of the results of Step 1 and Step 2. There is an example at CTM80255.
For guidance about the transitional provisions where the overlapping period falls wholly or partly before 2 July 1997 see CTM80250.