CTM40600 - Particular bodies: insurance companies

The file for any UK resident insurance company which starts to trade, or for any non resident insurance company which starts to trade in the UK through a branch or agency, should be sent to CTIAA (Insurance). If possible, the report should indicate which classes of business it carries out.

CTIAA (Insurance) should also be informed when it becomes apparent for the first time that an insurance company which is not dealt with in a specialist district:

  • is carrying on insurance business otherwise than on a mutual basis,
  1. or
  • is not resident in the UK and has a presence in the UK which is claimed to be a representative or contact office and not to amount to a branch or agency here through which business is carried on.

Registered friendly societies are covered in CTM40300 onwards.