CH255505 - How to do a compliance check: using inspection powers: during a visit: personal safety
Personal safety is of paramount importance, especially when working away from the office at business premises. You should
- ensure you are familiar with your team’s risk-assessment and safe working practice,
- ask about and observe the health and safety requirements of the premises being visited,
- exercise care and forethought to avoid placing yourself at risk,
- tell colleagues where you are visiting,
- withdraw from any potentially dangerous situation for example, if there is verbal abuse or the threat of physical abuse or the premises are unsafe and
- immediately report any incident.
To prevent problems arising when dealing with the public
- avoid being drawn into arguments
- consider carrying a mobile phone
- consider carrying a personal alarm.
For further advice on personal safety go to the Intranet home page> About you> Health and safety.