CCM18037 - Child Benefit and Tax Credits: Extension period for 16 and 17 year olds
Where a qualifying young person has ceased relevant education or training, Child Benefit may remain payable for a period of up to 20 weeks provided
- the person is under 18
- has registered for work, education or training with a qualifying body - see CBTM07025
- the person is not in remunerative work
- the extension period has not expired
- immediately before the extension period began, the person responsible for them was entitled to Child Benefit for that person, and
- the person responsible has made an application for the extension to HMRC within three months of relevant education or training ceasing.
Child Benefit will cease to be payable where
- the young person commences remunerative work, see CBTM07028
- the young person receives other financial support, see CBTM07070
- the young person turns 18 years old
Main difference, if any, to Child Tax Credit (CTC)
This definition is similar to the definition for Child Tax Credit. See TCTM02220.