In this section:
  • Tell HMRC about a change of name or address by email

Tell HMRC about a change of name or address by email

If your circumstances have changed and you've changed address or your name you can let HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) know using their email service. This method is:

  • quick and easy
  • safe and secure
  • convenient for you
  • need only tell HMRC once
  • one where you get an immediate online acknowledgement

If you're registered for Self Assessment Online, you're leaving the UK, you would like to change your business name or address or you have previously been given specific instructions about contacting HMRC you'll need to use a different method.

On this page:

If you're registered for Self Assessment Online or you're leaving the UK

If you've already registered to use HMRC’s Self Assessment Online Service you should continue to update your details there.

Update your details using Self Assessment Online

If you want to tell HMRC that you are changing your address because you are leaving the UK please read the guide 'Income Tax when leaving the UK' for more information.

Income Tax when leaving the UK

If you have previously been given specific instructions about contacting HMRC please continue to follow that guidance.


Information you'll need to report the change

Before you start to complete the online form it's very important that you have all of the information below to hand. Some of this information is used to confirm your identity - because of this, the information you provide must be accurate and complete.

General information you'll need to provide

Over 80% of problems with information held by HMRC are caused by individuals and employers giving incorrect names, dates of birth and National Insurance numbers. It’s important to get this information right so that you are paying the correct amount of Income Tax and National Insurance to protect your entitlement to State Pension and certain other benefits.

Email address.

Full name, including any middle name(s) - always provide your correctly spelled full names, making sure that your forename(s) and surname are in the correct order.

Date of birth - always provide your correct date of birth. If you give an incorrect date of birth it might affect your entitlement to certain benefits.

National Insurance number - always use your correct National Insurance number. Do not make a number up or use someone else's. If you have lost your National Insurance number or can't remember it, you might be able to find it on official paper work like:

  • your P60 (end of year tax statement, given to you by your employer)
  • your payslip
  • a copy of your annual Self Assessment tax return
  • other official correspondence

If you still can't find your number, you can ask HMRC to confirm it by following the link below.

If you’ve lost or can't remember your National Insurance number

You will need to provide some reference numbers for HMRC to validate your identity

You must provide your current employer's PAYE reference number or your private or occupational pension payer's PAYE reference number.

You'll find your:

  • employers PAYE reference number on your wage slip or on your P60 unless you have recently changed employer
  • pension payer's PAYE reference number on your pension payer's advice slip or on your P60 form

You must also provide one of the following:

  • your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number - you'll only have one of these if you complete a Self Assessment tax return and it can be found on Self Assessment letters or statements HMRC have sent you
  • your current employer's or pension (private or occupational) payer's name
  • the name of your previous employer if you have changed your main employment in the last 2 years
  • your employee works number for your current employment or if you currently receive a private or occupational pension, your pension number
  • if you're self-employed you'll also need to tell HMRC the nature of your self-employment even if you are also in paid employment

This information is very important because it helps HMRC to keep your personal details safe. If they can't be sure who you are they will not accept your new details by email.

If you want to tell HMRC about a change of name

You'll also need to provide:

  • your new name and date on which you changed it
  • your spouse's or civil partner's full name, date of birth, National Insurance number and Unique Taxpayer Reference number if they have one (if relevant)
  • the date you separated (if relevant)

If you need to report a legal gender change this can only be done in writing accompanied by the appropriate Gender Recognition Certificate (unless you have elected for the Gender Recognition Panel to directly notify HMRC).

If you want to tell HMRC about a change of address

You'll also need to provide:

  • your new address including postcode and the date from which your address changed
  • your new contact telephone number(s)

If you want HMRC to contact you at a different address - your 'nominated correspondence address' - you'll need to tell them the full address and the date from which you want them to use it.


Complete and email the online form

It should only take you around ten minutes to complete the form - but please make sure you have all the details you require to hand before you start as it will save you time when filling in the form. See the sections 'Information you'll need to report the change', 'If you want to tell us about a change of name' and 'If you want to tell us about a change of address' above.

When you've got the information you need to hand, use the link below to start filling in the form.

Report a change of name or address


Which records will be updated?

HMRC will update your change of name and address in the following services:

  • PAYE (Pay As You Earn)
  • National Insurance
  • Self Assessment
  • Construction Industry Scheme
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Trust Fund (you will need to update your account provider separately)
  • Student loan (you will still need to tell the Student Loans Company separately - HMRC is unable to pass your change details on to them)
  • Tax credits

In addition the change you have reported will also be notified to:

  • the Government Gateway
  • the Pensions service


What happens after you've sent your form?

HMRC will send you an email straight away to tell you that they've received your change in personal details. After that, if they need any more information from you they'll ask you for it in a secure email and you'll usually be able to send the details back to them by email.

When HMRC’s got all the information they need they'll let you know they've changed your personal details and, if appropriate, when you can expect to get a new tax code.

If, for any reason, HMRC can't identify you against their records they will let you know and ask you to either phone or write to them about your change.

If you've told HMRC that you've changed your name they may need to ask you to send them certain legal documents before they can go ahead and make the change. If they do need you to do this they will tell you by email.

You will not be sent a new National Insurance number card. You don't need to have a card - it's the number that's important.

Your National Insurance Number


Businesses - how to report changes to HMRC

This form only allows you to update your personal change of name and address.

If you change your business name or address you will have to notify HMRC separately.

You can find out how to do this in the guidance 'Reporting changes to HMRC - businesses'.

Reporting changes to HMRC - businesses