Required information for authorisation
Where an inspection requires authorisation the following information will need to be provided to the authorised officer
- The name of the officer working on the case and the name of the officer's team.
- The file reference and/or VAT number.
- The name and nature of the business.
- The risk involved (why is the request being made).
- Evidence collated and its relevance to the risks.
- Evidence that alternative options (if any) have been considered (any customer / agent contact?)
- Details of previous action taken on the case.
- A risk assessment of the Health and Safety issues that may be involved for the visiting officer.
- A judgement on whether the request is compliant with provisions of the Human Rights Act.
In addition, the authorised officer reviewing the case will need to keep an audit trail of the information presented including copies of any documentation and a written note of:
- the decision made
- the reasoning behind that decision.