Paying electronically - introduction
If you file your VAT Return online, then you must pay any VAT due electronically (e.g. by Direct Debit). Paying HMRC this way:
- is safer, more secure and will avoid any postal delays
- will provide certainty about when your payment reaches HMRC; and
- allows you more time to pay your VAT and submit your VAT Return online.
We accept payment from a range of approved electronic methods:
- Direct Debit
- Internet banking
- Telephone banking
- Debit or Credit card over the Internet using Billpay
- BACS Direct Credit
- Bank Giro credit transfer (pay by cash or cheque at a bank or building society that has this facility, but not over the Post Office counter).
Important: When you use certain methods of electronic payment, you will need to know the HMRC bank account details to be able to pay us.
Using Direct Debit is simple – you only need to set up an online Direct Debit Instruction once. Only the amount you declare as VAT due on the online VAT Return will be collected by Direct Debit. You must set up an instruction at least five bank working days before you file the return online. If you haven’t allowed enough time before you file your first online return you’ll have to pay by another electronic method.
The next screen will show you how to complete an online Direct Debit instruction.