This section covers signing up for HMRC online services (including VAT Online)*. This enables you to undertake various tasks including filing your returns online.
Signing up for our online services is straightforward, and uses safeguards to protect your privacy and ensure your details are secure.
* Please note that if you have already registered your business for VAT using our online tax registration service, you will have automatically been enrolled for the VAT Online service. Please do not sign up again for the same VAT business.
Why sign up for online services?
Depending on the service, you can:
- opt to send and receive secure communications online
- view a breakdown of your payments made and liabilities including interest and penalties
- change your personal details (eg address, telephone number and email)
- claim a repayment if we owe you money
- receive email reminders to submit returns
- submit a return without an Activation Code (Pin) (only applicable to VAT Returns)
- make payments electronically
What do I have to do?
To enrol for VAT Online go to the homepage of HMRC's website www.hmrc.gov.uk and, from the 'Do it online' section on the left, follow the 'Register (new users)' link.
On the next page find and click on 'Sign up to send returns using HMRC Online Services'.
Click on the link ‘Sign up for HMRC Online Services’ and then follow the on screen instructions.
Then choose what type of account you want to create: Individual, Organisation, Pensions or Agent.