Reporting changes that might affect your tax

A change to your income or circumstances may affect how much Income Tax you have to pay. It's important to let HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) know about any changes right away so that they can work out whether you need to pay extra or less tax. By contacting HMRC early you can avoid paying too much tax or owing tax at the end of the year.

On this page:

Changes you must tell HMRC about

You'll need to tell HMRC if you:

  • get married or form a civil partnership
  • start getting a second income
  • become - or stop being - self-employed
  • start or stop getting company benefits - like a company car or medical insurance
  • start getting taxable benefits

You'll also have to let HMRC know if other income that you get - like savings or rental income - increases or reduces.

All these things and more can affect the amount of Income Tax that you have to pay.

Contact HMRC


Marriage or civil partnership where one partner was born before 6 April 1935

Tell HMRC if you get married or form a civil partnership and at least one partner was born before 6 April 1935 - you may be eligible for the Married Couple's Allowance if you pay tax.

If you get divorced or your civil partnership dissolves or you separate and you were getting the Married Couple's Allowance you will no longer be eligible so you need to let HMRC know.

Contact HMRC

Find out about Married Couple's Allowance


Death of a spouse or civil partner

If your husband, wife or civil partner dies you need to contact HMRC if either of the following applies:

  • you are claiming Married Couple's Allowance
  • either of you claims Blind Person's Allowance and some or all of this was transferred to the other spouse or civil partner

Contact HMRC

Find out more about tax and benefits after a death


Starting/stopping self-employment

You must tell HMRC that you're self-employed as soon as possible - even if you already fill in a tax return each year. If you don't tell them as soon as you begin self- employment you may have to pay an initial penalty.

Find out about tax for the self-employed and how to register

If you stop being self-employed let HMRC know as soon as possible.

You can find more information about what you need to do if you stop being self-employed here


Starting/stopping to receive company benefits

If you start to get taxable company benefits you should tell HMRC right away so that you don't get a large tax bill at the end of the year. Employers don't have to tell HMRC about any company benefits you get until the end of the tax year, unless it's a company car. HMRC will adjust your code number and start collecting all or some of the extra tax sooner. If you get a company car or change your company car, you only need to report the details to HMRC once you have the use of the car.

You should also tell HMRC if you stop getting taxable company benefits. They can change your tax code and make sure you don't pay too much tax.

Contact HMRC

Read more about company benefits and your tax code


Starting to receive the State Pension

When you reach State Pension age you don't automatically stop paying Income Tax but your tax bill may go down.

More about tax on your State Pension


Starting/stopping state benefits

If you start or stop getting state benefits it may affect your tax bill. The sooner you get in touch with HMRC, the sooner they can adjust your tax code to make sure you always pay what's due.

Contact HMRC


Reporting changes to your income

What income changes you need to report and how you report them depends on your circumstances. Find out what you need to do to report a change by following the link below.

Changes to your income – how to report them to HMRC


If you change address

If you change address it's important to let HMRC know - even if you pay some or all of your tax through PAYE and have already told your employer or pension provider. Under the Data Protection Act they can't pass on your new address to HMRC.

Contact HMRC


More useful links

Find out how to get a tax refund

What to do if you think your tax code is wrong

Read more about Blind Person's Allowance