Getting Child Benefit on behalf of someone else

Very young parents and ill or disabled people with a child or children may find it difficult to make a claim for Child Benefit. They may also find it difficult to collect their payments but you may be able to help them with this.

On this page:

Helping a very young parent get Child Benefit

You can fill in a Child Benefit claim form for a very young parent, if they can't fill it in themselves.

It doesn't matter if the young parent is not your own child - they could be a friend you're helping for example. But they must still check the information and sign the form.


Claiming on behalf of your child

If a child you're responsible for has a baby, you can claim Child Benefit for both of them. If you're already getting Child Benefit for your child let the Child Benefit Office know that you want to claim for their baby as well.

Contact details for the Child Benefit Office and Helpline

How to claim Child Benefit


If you want to collect the payment on behalf of your child

If your child has claimed Child Benefit in their own right, you can arrange to collect the payment on their behalf. Talk to their bank, building society or the Post Office®, if your child has one of these accounts to see what arrangements they can make.

You can also ask for the payment to be paid into a joint account, but your child's name must also be on the account. Your child will need to confirm that the other account holders are using the money in the way your child wants. They will need to confirm this on the Child Benefit claim form.

The Child Benefit Office can only pay Child Benefit into one account - they can't split payments between different accounts.

How to change account details for Child Benefit payments


Getting Child Benefit on behalf of someone who's ill or disabled and can't manage their own affairs

You may be able to act on behalf of someone who can't manage their affairs because of:

  • illness
  • disability
  • other special needs

You'll need to become an official 'appointee' to act on their behalf.

Who can be an appointee?

An appointee can be:

  • an individual, for example a relative or friend
  • an organisation like a local authority
  • a receiver - someone the Court of Protection appoints to manage a person's financial affairs if they can't do so themselves

What can an appointee do?

As an appointee you've got the same rights and responsibilities as the person who's claiming the Child Benefit. This means you would:

  • complete the claim form
  • collect the benefit payment
  • deal with any correspondence
  • need to tell the Child Benefit Office about any changes in circumstances
  • stop or restart payments where the person or their partner has an individual income of more than £50,000, and so would be liable to the 'High Income Child Benefit charge'

High Income Child Benefit charge

How can you become an appointee?

If you want to become an appointee you'll need to contact the Child Benefit Office. They will discuss this with you to make sure being an appointee is the best option for you and the person who's claiming Child Benefit.

Contact details for the Child Benefit Office and Helpline

Changing the appointee

If you don't want to act as appointee any longer you'll need to give the Child Benefit Office one month's notice in writing. Your appointment will end if in the meantime the Court of Protection has appointed a receiver.

You can write to:

Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE88 1AA


Someone who's ill or disabled but can still manage their own affairs

If someone's ill or disabled but they can still manage their affairs, then it's not appropriate to have an appointee. But it may be possible to collect their Child Benefit for them if they have a bank, building society or Post Office® card account. Contact the bank, building society or Post Office ® to see how they can help you.


More useful links

Help with the Child Benefit claim form

Claiming tax credits as an appointee